We offer both introduction and intermediate level fashion construction workshops. You will learn on industrial standard facilities and be using industrial methods and equipment to give a professional finish to your chosen garment.
Introduction fashion construction (skirt or trousers)
This workshop is aimed at people with only modest or no sewing experience. Participants will make a simple skirt or pair of trousers. With the guidance of our experienced technicians you will be taught different aspects of garment construction, including darts, waistbands, facings, pockets, zips and hems. The workshop will cover:
- How to measure your body and modify patterns to achieve the correct fit
- Placing the pattern on the fabric for economy and the effect of grain placement for design alternatives
- The advantages of commercial manufacture
- How to operate industrial sewing machines
- The completion of a simple garment
Once you have mastered the basic skills you will be able to construct a more complex garment. This will give you the skills, the reference materials and the confidence required to carry on by yourself to bring your own designs to life in the future.
A selection of practice fabrics, fusible interlinings, buttons etc. will be available for you to use. You will need to bring fabric for your final garment.
Intermediate Fashion Construction (jacket)
This course is suitable for people who are competent home sewers or have completed the Introduction to Fashion Construction course. The workshop teaches how to make a tailored jacket and build upon existing skills.
Participants will learn over the five days how to alter a pattern for personal fit, then complete the final garment learning about collars, sleeves, pockets, linings and fusible interlinings. You will be taught by experienced staff who will pass on the tricks of the trade.
The workshop will cover:
- How to operate industrial sewing machines.
- Trace off pattern and alter for own measurements
- Make toile and fit to personal measurement
- Alter pattern and make second toile.
- Cut out and complete sewing garment.
A selection of practice fabrics, fusible interlinings, zips, buttons etc. will be available for you to use. You will need to bring fabric for your final jacket design.